What is Inlay/Onlay Restoration?
Inlay/Onlay restoration is a method used for tooth decay and damage that cannot be restored by using classical filling materials. They are scraped from crystallized porcelain material with the impression taken orally and applied to the tooth. It is an aesthetic treatment method applied for teeth where the tooth tissue is not sufficient to fill.
Inlay is a method used to fill gaps in the inner groove of the tooth that does not extend to the outer edge. Onlay is the filling method applied to repair the damage or cavities on the outer boundary of the tooth or on the biting surface.
What are the Advantages of Inlay/Onlay Restoration Treatment?
In aesthetic dentistry, it is aimed to give patients a healthy and beautiful smile. For this purpose, it is important to eliminate the damages caused by various reasons in the teeth in the most accurate and aesthetic way, to choose alternatives that do not disturb the general harmony of the teeth and do not cause color mismatch in addition to function improvements. Dental filling is a method used in this context and aimed at maintaining dental integrity.
- They look aesthetic: Inlay/Onlay filling material and techniques used in restoration make the result look more aesthetic.
- It is long-lasting: The lifespan of Inlay/Onlay fillings is much longer compared to conventional composite or amalgam fillings. The lifespan of composite fillings is about 5-10 years, the lifespan of amalgam fillings is about 10-15 years. When it is compared to these alternatives, the permanence of Inlay/Onlay fillings is over 20 years.
- It is durable: Unlike composite fillings, Inlay / Onlay fillings have a much higher adhesion because they are adhered to the lost area by using medical adhesives. The surface resistance of Inlay/Onlay fillings is higher than direct composite fillings, so they are much less likely to break or fall. Amalgam fillings may wear out over time. Some chemicals that come into contact with the mouth can seep through worn cracks and cause the tooth to rot from the inside. There is no such risk in Inlay/Onlay fillings. Inlay/Onlay porcelain fillings are materials that are extremely resistant to cracks and abrasions.
- It does not contain allergic substances: Amalgam fillings contain mercury, a toxic substance. Mercury can cause allergic reactions in some patients and therefore poses a risk. However, porcelain Inlay/Onlay fillings do not contain this substance. Inlay/Onlay fillings do not cause any allergic and toxic reactions.
- It becomes tough quickly: While the adhesion and hardening of classical fillings are negatively affected by factors such as moisture, blood and saliva in the mouth, this is not the case with porcelain fillings.
- It has high biocompatibility: In Inlay / Onlay restorations, much more detailed and harmonious results can be obtained since the fillings produced in the laboratory environment are studied.
- They increase the durability of dental tissue: Higher contacts and contours can be created as a result of Inlay/Onlay restorations. In this context, Hollywood Smile, which is one of the popular applications of recent years, can be preferred instead of classic filling materials. They also increase the durability of the remaining smooth tooth tissue.
In Which Case is Inlay/Onlay Restoration preferred?
Dişlerde travmalara bağlı oluşan kırılmalarda, aşırı şekerli ve asitli içeceklerin uzun süre tüketimi sonucu veya ağız bakımının aksatılmasına bağlı oluşan çürüklerde, tedavi için tek seçenek amalgam dolgular ve kaplamalar değildir.
- Standard filling applications cannot be successful in patients who need large fillings and have lost most of the teeth. Today, inlay / onlay restorations are mostly preferred in the repair of teeth that are damaged at this rate. In this way, the teeth are restored to their natural appearance.
- For teeth that have undergone root canal treatment or severely decayed, the remaining healthy tooth parts after decay is insufficient for amalgam filling or veneering application. These cavities prevent the tooth from touching other teeth and cause the consumed nutrients to fill these cavities. This leads to problems in the tissue of the tooth and the gums. In this case, inlay/onlay restorations are preferred.
If you want to be remembered and be held up as an example with your smile, you can immediately apply to our clinic and get detailed information from our dentists.
How is Inlay / Onlay Restoration Treatment Applied?
Inlay restoration treatment steps:
- First of all, the tooth with caries is anesthetized by using local anesthesia.
- The dentist removes and cleans the decayed area on the inner surface of the tooth.
- After cleaning all the problematic area of the tooth, the cavity is measured and porcelain filling material is expected to be produced in accordance with the tooth color and shape in the laboratory environment.
- A temporary filler is glued to the tooth until porcelain filling is produced.
- The porcelain fillings that have been prepared are glued to the tooth using special adhesives in the last session.
- If there is any surplus, it is removed and polished by using a drill. At the end of all these procedures, inlay restoration is completed. While the inlays cover the chewing surface of the tooth, they become almost invisible and perform a very natural tooth restoration.
Similar methods are applied in the treatment of Onlay restoration.
Onlay restoration treatment steps:
- After the problematic area of the mouth is anesthetized by the dentist with local anesthesia, the rotten teeth parts are cleaned.
- Measurements are taken from the cavitied tooth and appropriate porcelain filling is produced in the laboratory environment.
- At this stage, a temporary Onlay filling is glued to the tooth. This temporary Onlay provides protection for the tooth until the permanent Onlay is produced.
- At the end of about a week, permanent porcelain Onlay fillings are adhered to the tooth and the Onlay restoration is completed.
These procedures take 2-3 sessions and as a result, comfortable treatment with similar characteristics to natural teeth is provided.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of Inlay/ Onlay Restoration varies according to the details of the process and the material used. You can see the average cost in the Treatment Summary table below. To determine the exact price, you can get information by making a preliminary status assessment with our doctors on Marmara Smile Dental Clinic social media accounts or whatsapp address.
|Attention: Each person is unique. Duration, planning and the result of the treatment can be different for everyone. The information given in the table are basic and average and it doesn’t represent fully accurate information for medical or scientific reliance.|
|Number Of Sessions||1|
|Duration Of Operation||30 Minutes|
|Duration Of Sensitivity||–|
|Persistence Of Results||Continuous|
|Price||150- 250 $|